Friday, May 23, 2008

Growing is a Continuous Process, be it Tomatoes or a Business





It is hard to believe that I have embarked on this wonderful "new" Journey of getting back on course of Growing Delicious Fresh Fruits and vegetables after a 20 year Hiatus.

I vividly remember my First Garden in Downey, California,1951. We were blessed with 1/4 acre lot and Dad said I could have the back portion. I planted everything so neatly and would tend it daily after my Paper Route, school and Mowing Lawns for the neighbors.

There was an Irrigation Stand Pipe in the Corner and I sit on that and "watch" the crops Grow.
Can't forget the day I sat there and watched a gopher very quickly "suck" one of my best Tomato Plants right into the Ground. So much for Sharing Space with Pests!

That opportunity to manage a Garden stayed in my mind and not too long after receiving my degree in 1964 in Invertebrate Zoology, I found myself starting to Farm vegetables in the lush Coachella Valley, along with working with my associates at Rincon Insectary

With
Everett J. "Deke" Dietrick, we were pioneering The Biological Control of Insect Pests Commercially and for the backyard gardener.

Leaving the valley saw my Lifestyle change to be involved in Direct Marketing Financial Products and other varied Ventures.

But in 1976 I moved to a small Northern California Town and started Truck farming again., I met my wife Shirley and we raised a wonderful Family on our 20 Acres on Vegetables. But just like the "gopher" who stole my Tomato plant, we had to re-adjust and pursue other Income sources.

Always involved in Marketing, I developed a nice Consulting business, and then we helped others design and build Horse Facilities........

And NOW back to the soil for Fun and Profit

2 comments:

sandy said...

An older friend of mine, once told me to bury the stem shallow sideways for about a foot. I tried it. That year I got 6 bushels of tomatoes from one plant. It was huge!
Have you ever tried this?
Also I didn't sucker my plant.

Chuck Bartok said...

Sandy, Yes planting sideways works especially in thinner soil conditions.

And suckering and pruning is
always a matter of choice and
Variety sometimes will play into it.

Congratulations on your Yield!
Let's stay in touch